Foto: Sylvia Steinhäuser
Kyoka’s music curiously manages to be both funky and highly experimental at once. Having released her fifth album IS (Is Superpowered) on raster-noton, she now returns with a new LP to the Chemnitz-based imprint set for a release on March 25th. In anticipation of Electron Festival where Kyoka will perform on March 24th, the Japanese producer has put together an eclectic mix featuring several artists from the raster-noton as well as a field recording of a humming girl. Read our interview with Kyoka and listen to her mix below.
Your new album SH was inspired by your residency at Stockholm‘s EMS studios. For how long did you stay there and what exactly did you do there?
My first visit of EMS was in Feburary 2014. Since then, I had a residency there several times a week or so. I was just listening to and adjusting my sound to make it fit with the image in my mind switching around the studios in EMS. Plus, often I worked with Buchla and Serge to have some kind of meditation or to learn how sounds exist in the air, speaker or space, and also how I feel or affect by them.
What makes the studio so special?
For me, it is just very relaxing to be there and also people there are very natural and helpful for me.
Where and how did you record your mix?
At my flat in Berlin, with a ZOOM recorder. It is first time I’ve done this, but I wanted to try something super normal and simple.
Did you have a specific concept in mind when making it?
My concept at this time is: Raw sound and rhythm
What other performances at Electron Festival are you looking forward to?
Sorry for my boring answer, but everyone, actually! Because I usually like to see what was the organizer or curator’s concept to book us together.
Download (MP3, 320 kBit/s, 52:56 Min., 64 MB)
01. Frank Bretschneider- Neon Night
02. Grischa Lichtenberger – Keys T
03. Frank Bretschneider – The Machinery of Freedom
04. Instant field recording made with an iPhone of piano playing by Grischa Lichtenberger and also a humming girl in my flat
05. Oneohtrix Point Never – Mutant Standard
06. Kangding Ray – Dark Barker
07. Kangding Ray – Mojave
08. Ryuichi Sakamoto & Alva Noto – The Revenant Main Theme (Alva Noto Remodel R)
09. Frank Bretschneider – Funkstille
10. YOSI HORIKAWA – Bubbles
11. YOSI HORIKAWA – Twilight
12. Atom™/Burnt Friedman/Hayden Chisholm – Sweet Silence
13. Burnt Friedman & Jaki Liebezeit – 124-09
14. Kazuya Matsumoto – Moe moe moeru ame furu furu
15. Junya Oikawa – thi th–i thi.. a.a. a..a….aa u e – – – – – -o
16. Agraph – Microscopic Array
17. Ueno Masaaki – Bound State
18. Frank Bretschneider – Echotron
19. Ricardo Villalobos – Süße Cheques
20. Aphex Twin – piano un1 arpej
Groove presents: Electron Festival 2016
March 24 to 27 2016
Line-Up: Helena Hauff, Paula Temple, Julia Govor, The Black Madonna, Aurora Halal, Masaya, Heidi, Kim Ann Foxman, Carl Craig, Agoria, Todd Terje, Michael Mayer, John Tejada, Martin Buttrich, Recondite, Motor City Drum Ensemble, Todd Terry u.v.m.
Tickets: from 17€